Monday, December 18, 2006

Out of the west

It seems unreal that I will be bringing Chris home tomorrow. Two weeks ago today at this time I was sitting at his bedside hoping that he would open his eyes and shaking with fear that that might not happen. I remember that the moon was full and clear in the sky, and I prayed that she would watch over him as he slept. Now the moon is a waning crescent, closing another cycle. In the Wiccan tradition, this is a time to banish troubles and worry, vanquish obstacles, and eliminate illness.

Chris and I both know that he has a lot of work ahead of him, but I have no doubts that he is up for the challenge. Every day he shows his determination by standing longer and working harder than even the therapists expect him to. They wanted him to stand up for 5 minutes, he did 10 - and then insisted on doing it again. He's done his own mini-OT sessions by shaving himself (with a little help on the right cheek.) The right side of his body is still much weaker, but the neurology doc firmly believes that this will come back with rehab. He didn't hesitate for a second this morning when Chris asked if his speech would recover; he reassured us that it might take a month or two, but everything would be just fine.

I don't know why we were among the lucky ones. I've met people here whose loved ones have been in critical conditions for 6 weeks, 2 months, or more. I don't know what we've done to deserve being able to go home after only 2 weeks, but I will thank the moon and stars and whoever made them for giving us this gift, and I thank all of you who have continued to send your warm thoughts and prayers.

Continue to watch this space for Chris's coordinates at Spaulding. I'm hoping he has internet access there; if not, I will print out all your emails and bring them in for him to read. I know that the support and encouragement of his friends is what really keeps Chris going, so I will also post visiting hours for anyone who is in the area. He will be so happy to see some familiar faces other than mine!

Peace and joy,
B

No comments: